Monday, October 10, 2011

Moving Planet - September 24th


            Earlier this semester, the folks at Solheimar took part in a global event called “Moving Planet,” which is a day dedicated to reducing fossil fuel dependence. The goal is to reduce the amount of Carbon Dioxide particles in the atmosphere to 350 parts per million. The starting line of the nine-kilometer race was in Minni-Borg, so Solheimar offered to provide us with a bus ride. After reflecting upon this offer I felt immediately confused. Why would we drive in a fossil fuel operated vehicle to an event intended to raise awareness of our dependence on those very same fossil fuels? Fortunately, almost everyone else was on the same page as me, and we decided that it would be best to walk to the starting line.  Upon waking up, though, the weather did not look favorable for our ambitious plan. Initially I was unsure if we would still walk to the starting line, but with the persistence of others it was easy to rally for the 100 minute walk. Although the wind and rain wasn’t exactly ideal, it was good to spend some time talking with the other group members. One part of the walk I distinctly remember enjoying was the opportunity I had to pet the horses near the roadside. It had been almost a month since I had spent any time up close with a non-human species of mammal, and I had almost forgotten what I’d missed. The black horse that initially walked up to the group was somewhat shy at first, but once he realized that we meant no harm proved to be very friendly. This experience was incredibly refreshing actually, and I hope to spend some more time exploring and meeting the local horses.
            The run on the way back was also a positive experience. I spent some time jogging with John and the runners from the Selfoss running club. Even though I couldn’t understand much of what the runners were saying, it felt fantastic to be united through such a unique medium that all humans have evolved to share. I’m sure the familiar mixture of joy, keen mental awareness and muscle ache is something that most people can relate to, if not appreciate.
            Spending time with the group at the café post-run has been one of the highlights of the trip so far. Everyone was tired out and the room was awash with endorphins; I got the overwhelming impression that we were finally beginning to form lasting bonds of friendship. I also enjoyed getting the chance to experience chocolate milk for the first time in a while, and it reminded me of the comforts of home. I’m sure I’ll get to spend many more similar days with the group, and I cannot wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment