Monday, October 10, 2011

A Tuesday Workshop


Another Tuesday workshop today, this time in the ceramics studio working alongside Dusty. Amid a cloud of clay dust, we sanded down fist to melon sized figurines. Most were the white birds that are sold in Vala, varying sizes, and a few other animal or creature figures as well. After sanding down about 15 or so, till they were soft and smooth, we got to paint a few. White glaze for the body, adding black lines and dots for the tail feathers and eyes. We did not however get to do the final step, which is the orange glaze for the beak. Two even coats of white, careful to leave the beak glaze free, then scrape the excess white from the divots on the tail and carefully apply narrow lines of black. Voila! an almost completed bird figurine.
            I have appreciated each of my workshop experiences so far, in that I have the opportunity to get to know another member from the group on an individual level, and also that we can integrate into the Sólheimar community in a different way. Often times it is still from somewhat of an observer perspective, for me this feels more like being the child at dinner with your parents and their friends. I am able to sit and be a part of what is going on, though I may not understand it, and learn by simply being there watching listening and feeling. However, the opportunity to actively engage with the home people and other Sólheimar community members during workshop has been hugely exciting and fun for me as well. I enjoy laughing with people when they try to say something to me and laugh because I don't understand (though I suspect there is a joke there perhaps at my expense, I still think it's funny), and when people have wanted to share with me, pointing at things and telling me what they are called, or showing me a better way to do something.
            To return to today's experience, in the ceramics studio Dusty and I were apart from the rest of the people in the workshop – at our own table we sanded. Others were across the room, carefully glazing sculptures with what will become bright colors. This definitely elicited a feeling of being outside, and perhaps that glazing looked more fun, but I still enjoyed it. Our quiet private table allowed for the ebb and flow of silent reflection and conversation. I could listen to conversation in Icelandic, and smile as those painting on glaze silently worked in heavy concentration. I appreciated too my small part. I felt productive sanding little birds, knowing my small act was a necessary step in the process. In that way I felt a part of the community, all producing these pieces or artwork together, each task requiring someone's attention.

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment