Friday, November 18, 2011

Our Community

Sólheimar

I didn't realize how involved we would be in the Sólheimar community before I arrived here. I knew we were doing a sustainability project for the village but i thought that was all. Once I realized we were hands on involved in the people of Sólheimar's everyday lives, I was intrigued but didn't think much of how that would affect me. When it comes to assimilating into small groups I usually do well and quickly get a sense of my place in things. But larger communities is usually a much slower process for me. That's why I'm really proud of myself for these past couple of weeks.
I don't usually assert myself in unfamiliar territory but I have felt very comfortable with it recently. I know Katrín has encouraged us getting involved but I never really realized what that would mean. Deciding to talk to Lárus about wanting to perform the piano in church was a big thing for me. I love piano but am very very apprehensive when it comes to performances especially in front of the whole community. However, once I started practicing and playing I was so happy and excited to continue. The first day with the home people choir was very powerful. First, we all introduced ourselves as their musical accompaniment and then started playing only soon to notice all the smiles I was getting from all of them. Later, even the most quiet home people came up to me and thanked me for playing. It was amazing to feel a part of them as well as understanding their Icelandic when one of them asked me to keep "spila" while I was playing a random jingle.
During the chapel service, the first one I've been to so far, I felt such a different dynamic. I didnt' feel like an outsider. I felt a belonging there as I watched people I recognized from the community with the rest of their families. I watched Karen (from the weavery) playing with the hands of her baby son while he slept through the service. For some reason that struck me, I think it's because I realized that I'm not just a visitor in some eco-village. It's people's home, their livelihoods. Their lives are here in Sólheimar, their passions and their love. I get to live amongst these people on an intimate level, not just scraping the surface and feeling that is something great and new for me.

Christina Donovan


No comments:

Post a Comment