Friday, November 18, 2011

Wrapping Up...

The last 11 weeks in Iceland have been a fascinating experience. We initially arrived in september as total strangers, unsure of what to expect. After meeting the group in the Boston airport, we shipped off to a far away country to become roommates. The first few days were spent adjusting to the time difference and familiarizing ourselves with Sólheimar, but I distinctly remember the nervous atmosphere. I also remember Karin stating something along the lines of "by the end of the trip, our interactions will be completely different than now." Not surprisingly, she was correct in this assessment. Although I adjusted to the group setting more quickly than I expected, I have continued to learn more about the group as time has passed and am closer with these people than many of my friends at home. Now, with one week left, I am finally coming to the realization that I must leave this place behind soon. This saddens me of course, but I do not intend to let the lessons I have learned and friends I have gained in Iceland. I will stay in contact with the group, and am looking forward to hearing about the extraordinary events awaiting each of us in the future. I am also looking forward to any potential reunions in the not-so-distant future.

As I go through my day-to-day life back at school and home, I will be constantly reminded of my semester in Sólheimar. Eating at the dining halls with friends will remind me of our daily lunches as a group, walking to class will cause me to think of our hikes, and cooking dinner for myself will seem like a small task compared to cooking for twelve. On the bright side, I feel very fortunate to have such great experiences to associate my daily activities with.

I look forward to returning home as well. The time has come to utilize the skills and information I have gained, and I could not be more excited to have the opportunity to positively influence my friends and family. Within our respective communities, each of us will surely be seen as a possessor of valuable knowledge regarding sustainability issues. I'm excited for each of us, and cannot wait to fulfill that role personally. As I conclude this blog entry and continue my own reflection, I realize that this semester has effected me more deeply than I could have ever hoped for, and for this I am extremely grateful. 


Bless bless,

Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment